Scientist, Protein Engineering
Scientist, Protein Engineering
Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a highly-motivated professional who is looking to grow their career with our company.
About the Position
We are seeking a Scientist to join the Protein Engineering (PE) group. In the PE group, we research and develop (R&D) scaffolds (i.e. platforms) for therapeutic use. We collaborate closely with the molecular simulations and technology integration groups to do protein engineering using structure-based rational design methods to ultimately identify innovative scaffolds. We also collaborate with therapeutic research, discovery research and/or external partners to bring these new scaffolds to the clinic. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in structural biology and be very well-versed in protein expression, purification and biophysical characterization.
This position will be based in Vancouver, BC.
- Carries out in silico protein engineering efforts to produce new scaffolds and new therapeutic molecules.
- Performs research and feasibility studies into proposed protein-engineering projects.
- Designs expression constructs for antibody and protein production.
- Plans and develops purification and assay protocols.
- Participates in the development of plans, schedules and costs of assigned projects/programs.
- Liaises with laboratory personnel and CRO staff to follow-up on the protein expression and screening for biophysical and bioactivity of the engineered molecules.
- Prepares reports on assigned projects for internal and external use, makes presentations to team and contributes to technical journals.
- Participates in the preparation of patents and publications.
- Checks, organizes, analyzes and reports data produced. Prepares reports, documents and dossiers.
- Fosters effective and collaborative working relationships with fellow employees, management and external partners.
- Brings innovation and ideas to leverage new and existing technologies within the group.
- Requires a PhD in a scientific discipline (Biochemistry, Immunology, Molecular or Cellular Biology or related field), and a minimum of 2 to 5 years’ related experience (may include post-doctoral experience).
- Experience with one or more structural biology techniques such as NMR, crystallography or electron microscopy.
- Experience with molecular model building, simulation and visualizing packages (AMBER, CCP4, COOT, etc.)
- Excellent understanding of protein structures, protein-protein interactions, and protein chemistry. At least some experience in construct design, protein design and engineering.
- Experience with protein expression, purification, biochemical and bioactivity characterization using techniques such as ELISA, SPR, FACS, BLI, KINEXA, etc.
- Experience in a least some important biophysical characterization techniques such as UPLC-SEC, DSC/DSF, AUC, DLS, LC-MS, etc.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Meticulous organization, record keeping and reporting.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills, incorporating integrity in all decision making.
- Ability to manage concurrent deliverables and work effectively in a challenging, milestone-driven environment.
- Effective oral and technical/scientific writing skills. Previous experience presenting scientific data to internal audiences.
Additional assets to be considered
- Experience with computational modelling software such as Rosetta or MOE.
- Experience with using mass spectrometry for determining protein structure or non-covalent bonding in biological macromolecules.
- Experience with additional biophysical techniques such as ITC, analytical ultracentrifugation, HPLC, cIEF, etc.
- Knowledge of new techniques used to assess developability of therapeutics, such as PSR, CSI, ACSINS, CIC and BVP.
- Experience with high-throughput screening methods for protein affinity or stability.
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at http://www.zymeworks.com/.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
More searches like this
- Clinical Research Oncology Senior Medical Scientist and / or Liaison jobs in British Columbia
- Clinical Trials Research Senior Medical Scientist and / or Liaison jobs in British Columbia
- Laboratory-Based Research Senior Medical Scientist and / or Liaison jobs in British Columbia
- Pharmaceutical Senior Medical Scientist and / or Liaison jobs in British Columbia
- Biochemistry Senior Medical Scientist and / or Liaison jobs in British Columbia