Medical Director, Oncology
Science 37 is accelerating the research and development of breakthrough biomedical treatments by bringing clinical trials to patients’ homes. By leveraging the latest innovations in mobile technology, cloud services, telemedicine, and mass-engagement channels like Facebook and Google, we are breaking down traditional geographic barriers to patient trial participation while shortening the time needed to bring new treatments to market.
We have recently moved our headquarters to Playa Vista, the tech hub of Southern California that is minutes from Venice Beach and Santa Monica, home to many of the most popular cultural landmarks in the Los Angeles area. We value employee well-being and aim to provide team members with everything they need to succeed. Enjoy daily healthy catered lunches, snacks and beverages, and top-notch equipment such as the latest Macbook Pro, 4k monitors, and adjustable standing desks. We provide a competitive benefits package to employees, including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision coverage
- 401k retirement plan
- Equity opportunities
- CME stipend
- Opportunity for professional growth
We are seeking an energetic, creative, highly motivated physician-leader to join Science 37 as Medical Director of the Oncology research unit. Successful candidates will have an interest/expertise in early phase clinical trials with a focus on targeted therapies and personalized medicine.
Science 37’s Medical Affairs team brings together expert clinicians who share a passion for improving patients’ lives, and accelerating clinical research through innovation. The team’s unique blend of academically-oriented and entrepreneurial-minded professionals provides the capability to plan and deliver decentralized clinical trials with the highest regard for patient safety and regulatory oversight. Science 37’s extraordinary work environment allows continuous collaboration between clinicians, clinical researchers, digital marketers, and software developers. The Medical Affairs team is involved throughout the trial life cycle, from protocol development and feasibility analysis, to patient recruitment and clinical trial operations. Our clinicians also serve as trial investigators. We are seeking colleagues who value collaboration, enthusiasm, and innovation with the ultimate goal of advancing medicine through a patient-centric approach.
The Medical Director of Oncology will have an interest/expertise in innovative cancer therapeutics. He/she will manage clinical trials within this therapeutic area to ensure the timely delivery of projects and their associated objectives. In doing so, the Medical Director is responsible for compliance with project-specific Standard Operating Procedures, Good Clinical Practice (GCP)/ International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines, and US Food and Drug Administration and other applicable state regulations. The Medical Director is responsible for providing therapeutic area expertise and support to clinical operations to ensure effective and timely communication of project progress.
The Medical Director provides clinical expertise/leadership and input to the Vice President of Medical Affairs on therapeutic area strategies and project life cycle management. He/she provides Medical Affairs clinical support and works closely with cross-functional groups that include Clinical Operations, Technology, Patient Engagement, and Regulatory to ensure that scientific strategies are aligned with the overall business strategy and goals. We encourage Medical Directors to maintain a part-time clinical practice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Participate and provide therapeutic area expertise throughout the entire stage of clinical trial planning and execution.
- Serve as principal or co-investigator in therapeutic area clinical trials.
- Provide therapeutic area insights and support to Patient Engagement for recruitment planning.
- Collaborate closely with Clinical Operations Directors and Project Managers to develop investigator study training materials.
- Provide support to Clinical Operations Project Managers from study start-up to study close by training and overseeing investigator team.
- Participate in safety assessments.
- Provide support together with Clinical Solutions and Clinical Operations teams for sponsor submissions to regulatory agencies.
- Develop relationships with key opinion leaders and be a brand ambassador at medical society and scientific meetings.
- Identify new clinical research opportunities and collaborate with Sales team to develop scientific plan.
- Provide support during sponsor meetings and teleconferences with Business Development.
- Collaborate with Business Development counterpart to review protocols/synopses for feasibility in the context of the decentralized clinical trial model.
- Collaborate with Business Development counterpart on drafting sponsor proposals and budgets.
- Collaborate with VP of Medical Affairs to identify and engage physician experts as consultants or study investigators in Diabetes.
- Responsible for project transition from Business Development to Clinical Operations and Clinical Solutions Group.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Medical degree; additional advanced degree suggested or equivalent clinical research experience.
- Board-certified in Hematology/ Oncology.
- Experience as a clinical research investigator with a focus on pharmaceutical-sponsored oncology clinical trials.
- Expertise in project management - demonstrated ability to successfully lead/manage research personnel. Proactive problem solving abilities and follow through.
- Knowledge of field organizational strategies - The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment. Successful decentralized team management and situational responsive decision-making.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical research - Understands the drug development process. Knowledgeable about the critical elements for success in clinical trials; participation in and contribution to these activities. Ability to create and review protocols, programs, and assess the feasibility/pathway to success of a project.
- Strong communication and presentation skills - Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to establish and maintain positive sponsor, project team member and internal Science37 relationships. Ability to conduct effective presentations.
- Computer skills - Working knowledge of MS Office suite and Google applications. Able to generate business correspondence, create forms and generate reports as required. Willingness to gain expertise in the use of propriety software.
- Practices professionalism and integrity in all actions – Demonstrated ability to foster concepts of teamwork, cooperation, responsibility, and flexibility to get the work done.
- Other – Ability to communicate in English (both verbal and written).