ALLIANCE MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR
ALLIANCE MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR
WHO WE ARE
GRAIL, Inc., is a discovery-stage life sciences company that is developing differentiated platforms for the early detection of cancer. GRAIL’s research programs combine approaches to ultra-deep sequencing of circulating, cell-free nucleic acids with innovative clinical programs of the scale and quality required to generate strong scientific and clinical evidence of their utility. GRAIL’s software and computational biology efforts are commensurate to the size and complexity of the resulting data sets. We are seeking passionate and talented individuals to join us in realizing our mission, which has the potential to dramatically reduce the global burden of cancer.
The Alliance Management group is responsible for managing and optimizing the value of Grail’s alliances with strategic partners. Alliances include joint ventures and in- and out-licensing of products and technologies. The position will be based in Menlo Park, California and will report to the Chief Business Officer.
- Key responsible party for overseeing the governance of the partnership agreement – identify key issues, set meeting agendas, schedule, ensure the team is prepared with their deliverables, pre-meeting prep, etc.
- Work with partner company(s) to set the direction and scope for implementation of the partnership agreement: key activities, timing and responsibilities on either side
- Regularly communicate with partner alliance management counterpart and other key partner stakeholders as needed, including ad hoc communications/events that require cross-functional communication
- Crisis management – address hot topic issues that require immediate attention while working diligently to minimize crisis management situations
- Regularly collect/develop and control quality of forecasts as appropriate to support financial planning activities
- Perform regular alliance audits and “health checks”
- Monitor implementation of and adherence to agreed-upon research, development and commercialization plans; take appropriate action to ensure execution
- Compliance/contract management – liaise with legal, finance, R&D, Commercial and other functions to ensure that key contract milestones, financial transactions, progress reports, etc. are handled appropriately and also to provide information/updates as needed
- Conduct regular reviews/meetings with senior management and other functions as appropriate to communicate key issues, milestones, etc. and gather feedback
- Lead and/or participate in contract renegotiations as appropriate
- Participate in review of new partner contract negotiations as appropriate and provide input into partnership execution terms of the contract, in particular governance structures and processes
- Build expertise about partner company, including company organization/leadership, strategies, financials, priorities, etc.; become “internal expert” on partner company
- Look for opportunities to create increased value for Grail
- Participate in alliance management group meetings to review progress and issues and share best practices
WHO YOU ARE
- 10+ years in an alliance management role, proven leadership skills in life sciences industry
- Knows how to set up processes and systems for managing complex and long-term partnerships, including JSC management, contract interpretation, day to day working team oversight and communication, managing/monitoring relationship health, change and risk management
- Experience in Project Management, Alliance Management or related function and being able to track timelines and deliverables, as well as project budgets
- Able to work extremely well cross-functionally with technical, clinical and business colleagues and outside counterparts
- Experienced in working with Business Development and Legal to interpret and amend agreements and contracts\
- Experience in working with both academic and commercial/industry entities
- Extremely detail oriented, customer-service oriented, and proven ability to persevere through challenges.
- Advanced scientific degree or MD, and experience in genomics, strongly preferred.
- Strong experience in drug development and/or Commercial Life Cycle Planning
- Strong leadership and self-direction
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, focus, negotiate, resolve conflict
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and resolve key project and partnership issues
- Demonstrated attention to detail and excellence in project management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work with and coordinate demands from multiple customers, both internally and with partners. Must be able to handle ambiguity well.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a matrix team
- Participation in development and lifecycle management project teams
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.