HEAD OF CANCER BIOLOGY
HEAD OF CANCER BIOLOGY
GRAIL, Inc., is developing differentiated platforms for the early detection of cancer. These platforms combine approaches to ultradeep sequencing of circulating, cell-free nucleic acids with innovative clinical programs of the scale and quality required to generate strong scientific and clinical evidence of their utility. GRAIL’s software and computational biology efforts are commensurate to the size and complexity of the resulting data sets. We are seeking passionate and talented individuals to join us in realizing our mission, which has the potential to dramatically reduce the global burden of cancer.
In this role, you will build and manage a team at the forefront of modern cancer biology to set the company’s research directions and execute upon them. Working with external data, collaborators, and GRAIL’s own data sets, you will formulate scientific programs that address the molecular transformations that give rise to malignancy and the measurable signals which are correlated to them. Your group will craft computational tools and databases that will be used to drive GRAIL’s product development efforts, and you will work with external collaborators from academia and industry. You will be a strong advocate for GRAIL's scientific culture.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build GRAIL’s deep bench of knowledge in cancer biology and genomics.
- Build and develop a team of cancer biologists, immunologists, and related scientists who are passionate about cancer biology
- Develop experimental and computational research programs which address fundamental questions in GRAIL’s portfolio, including sensitive and specific signatures of malignancy. Answer mechanistic and therapeutic questions using GRAIL’s data.
- Collaborate with GRAIL’s other teams, including our clinical, R&D, and machine learning teams, to produce unique scientific analyses that influence our product directions
- Apply biological insights and knowledge of cancer biology to scientific and product decisions
- Promulgate a culture of scientific curiosity and rigor
- Formulate and direct external collaborations. Represent the company externally.
- M.D./Ph.D. or Ph.D. in Cancer Biology, Bioinformatics, Biological Sciences, Genetics, Genomics, or related field.
- An international reputation in the field of cancer biology or cancer genomics (or related fields) as demonstrated by highly cited publications, impactful tools or data sets used by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, and awards.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Consistent record of hiring and developing productive teams
- History of success working in cross-functional environments
- Understanding existing large data sets and of modern tools in cancer genomics for processing and analysis of primary data. Ability to conduct analyses.
- An understanding of experimental limitations of next generation sequencing experiments as applied broadly in cancer.
- Demonstrated ability to apply these skills to uncover new biological insights.
- 5 years of industry experience preferred
- Excellent statistical understanding of the underlying limitations of analytical approaches.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.