Senior Scientist, Assay Development
Senior Scientist, Assay Development
Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation multifunctional biotherapeutics, initially focused on the treatment of cancer. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
- Plans, schedules and executes experiments with input from key stakeholders. Analyzes, interprets and presents data.
- Manages critical-path components of scientific activities, issue escalation, problem solving and contingency planning.
- Works with project team leads and project manager to develop timelines and resource plans.
- Works closely with and may manage cross-functional groups to facilitate development of therapeutic candidates and novel technologies
- Provides technical guidance to project staff, coordinates schedules and assigns tasks to reach an overall objective within costs, quality and timelines.
- May plan, organize and control investigations and advanced experimental work.
- Reviews literature and public databases. Reviews and may identify targets for therapeutic development and project plans.
- Prepares and presents materials for scientific business and external meetings.
- Prepares complex reports on technical subjects, prepares and reviews patents, drug dossiers and research reports.
- Assists or with patent applications
- Participates in industry activities, conferences and professional research meetings and contributes to scientific literature.
- Supervises and assists in maintaining a clean, organized and operational lab.
- Conducts all activities in accordance with scientific standards, OH&S regulations and established policies and practices.
- Ensures adherence to best practices and explores opportunities for continuous improvement and provides input into best practices.
- Actively works to foster an environment of effective and collaborative working relationships amongst employees, management and external partners.
Education and Experience
PhD in a scientific relevant discipline or equivalent, and a minimum of 5 to 8 years related experience (may include post-doctoral experience) or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts. Reputation as emerging leader in field with sustained performance and accomplishment.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to provide leadership, mentoring and coaching to more junior personnel.
- Good organizational and time management skills and the ability to work effectively in a high paced, fast changing environment while balancing activities across multiple projects. Results-oriented.
- Ability to facilitate the development of new methodologies to address scientific questions.
- Critical observation skills and strong statistical analysis capability.
- Excellent oral, presentation and scientific/technical writing skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
- Expert understanding of lab techniques and methods which may include:
o Flow cytometry
o Protein purification
o Transient transfections of mammalian cell lines
o Antibody drug conjugate assays
o Western, Northern, Southern blotting
o Homogeneous time resolved immunoassays
o Reporter Gene Assays
o Second messenger assays
o Quantitation and detection of phosphorylated moieties
o Invasion/migration assays
o T-cell dependent cell cytotoxicity assays
o Antibody dependent cell mediated cytotoxicity assays
o Complement dependent cytotoxicity assays
o Formal affinity measurements
o Angiogenesis assays
o Activation and proliferation of macrophages, T-Cells, B-Cells, NK-Cells
o Complex agonist, antagonist, inverse agonist and positive allosteric bioassays in single dose or dose response format (EC50 and IC50)
o High content evaluation of cell cytotoxicity
o Cell spreading assays
o Co-localization assays
o Mitochondrial biogenesis assay
o Cytokine profiling (multi-channel FACS)
o Translocation assays (single or multiple targets simultaneously)
o Colony formation assays
o Ex-vivo assessment of immune cellular function (1-way, 2-way MLR)
o Ion channel assays
- Expert understanding in the use of lab equipment, which may include:
o Multimode microplate readers
o Flow Cytometers
o High content imaging devices
o Biacore, KinExa, Octet
o FLIPR, Baracuda
- Subject matter expert in their respective fields which may include:
o Molecular Biology
o Protein technologies
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Senior Scientist, Assay Development” in the subject line.