Medical Scientist, Oncology
Medical Scientist, Oncology
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with integrity, even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing.
Global Medicines Development (GMD) is the science engine room for our late stage development. We transform clinical concepts into medicines that deliver patient health benefits. There are around 5,000 people in GMD. Our critical, core drug development expertise is at the heart of our three vibrant scientific centres in Gothenburg (Sweden), Cambridge (UK) and Gaithersburg (US).
This is an exciting period for us, as well as for those poised to join us. Our strategy and ability to transform our portfolio means we have a late stage pipeline that presents incredible opportunities to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. We are responsible for enabling the business to make critical pipeline and investment decisions, to ensure they select the right molecules to progress and to seize the right lifecycle management opportunities – generating the data required to drive regulatory submissions for new medicines and expanded indications and generating the evidence that shows their true value.
Oncology within GMD has a broad pipeline, offering career development options. We are looking for established scientists who wish to broaden their roles. As a Medical Scientist you will have a role in developing new phase III trials. You will be working independently with guidance in only the most complex situations and be a close partner to the physician on the team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- You may coordinate the activity of a research team and will hold full accountability for projects, often with Global impact.
- You will have key relationships internally with clinical project teams, marketing and business development, and brand or therapy area team leaders, and externally with regulatory bodies and external service providers.
- You’re responsible for integrating the research and commercial aspects of drug development to ensure successful, value creating product development, either by overseeing a team of clinical research professionals, or by supporting such a team as an expert in one or more areas of clinical research.
- You will ensure there is adequate input into the drug development process from experts in each of the various areas of drug development, or provide input into one or more of these areas as a technical expert.
- You will develop and design studies to determine the scientific or commercial viability of a particular drug or portfolio of drugs and interpret the results of these studies, either as the head of a team, or by providing expert input.
- You’re expected to participate in protocol writing and strategy and ensure that all aspects of work being carried out by yourself or your team is done with a focus on the commercial viability of the drug under development.
- You will coordinate actions between research and development, manufacturing and marketing teams to ensure the success of product development at each stage of the product life cycle.
- You have responsibility for determining the commercial and scientific viability of drugs, and making decisions about whether to continue their development and how much resources to invest in them, or contribute to this decision making process as a valued expert.
- You will manage cross functional projects to ensure the successful passage of drugs through all phases of the drug development process, or contribute to one or more elements of such a project as a technical expert.
- You could be performance managing a team of clinical research professionals, setting goals and objectives and overseeing their professional development, whilst ensuring your own work, and work of team, is compliant with Safety, Health and Environment standards and all other relevant internal and external regulations.
- You will review and interpret medical data and clinical trial data and come up with conclusions as well as review patient consent forms and provide opinion on whether or not that matches the data.
- You will engage in literature search and author background section of the disease from the literature search and provide initial screening for study proposals to ensure information’s accurate; provide first review of the ISS proposals.
- You will also have responsibility for delivery of pieces of the trials and may lead submissions from a process standpoint.
- PhD in a scientific field is required
- Oncology clinical trials experience.
- Good transferable project experience across phases I - III drug development.
- Experience managing and interpreting the results of clinical trials as well as exposure to writing protocols to some degree.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience of authoring scientific documents.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Experience leading and managing a team and project management experience is desirable (evidence of leading cross functional teams focussing on good communication, passion for customers and working collaboratively).
- Sufficient technical and disease area knowledge to be able to interact with confidence with internal and external partners.
- Considerable relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry is preferred, however academic experience will be considered.
- Experience with haematological or paediatric malignancies.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
For additional information go to: https://job search.astrazeneca.com/job/royston/medical-scientist-oncology/7684/7538096
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.