An exciting opportunity has been created for an experienced PhD level R&D cancer biologist with experience in team science to join the Knight Cancer Institute Cancer Early Detection Advanced Research (CEDAR) center as a Specialist & Project Facilitator.
CEDAR is biologists, chemists, biomedical engineers, computationalists, and clinicians working together on cutting-edge, transdisciplinary research centered on one idea—early cancer detection. Our mission at CEDAR is to detect and stop lethal cancers at the earliest stage. CEDAR combines the best of biomedical research startups and traditional academia. CEDAR research requires novelty, creativity, and innovation in order to generate groundbreaking translational discoveries. All CEDAR researchers have access to internal research project funding, which expedites the process of discovery. CEDAR researchers are encouraged to work on high-risk, high-reward research projects and all projects are milestone driven and supported by experienced project facilitators.
An ideal candidate will have scientific knowledge of mechanisms driving cancer formation and early cancer biology. Expertise in biochemistry, molecular biology, chemistry and models systems of cancer are highly desired.
The individual will have demonstrated success in leading, managing and participating in large collaborative projects or programs and a record of scientific and technical accomplishments. S/he will have the ability to gain the confidence of other scientists, and staff, and the ability to develop strategic relationships and partnerships with key constituents.
As a Project Facilitator, the individual will partner with and provide a range of services to CEDAR scientific project teams to ensure success including: meeting facilitation, project management, milestone tracking, resource management analysis, team building and removal of roadblocks.
Project facilitators meet regularly with assigned scientific project teams to:
- Maintain a high level scientific understanding of the subject matter of the project team.
- Coach project teams in establishing timelines and milestones ensuring measurable progress towards project goals, encourage transparency regarding task and milestone accountability
- Facilitate critical dialogues about decision making and team issues, provide conflict resolution if needed
- Provide team building collaboration tools
- Report team outcomes and cultural success. Update and maintain an online tracking system (Confluence) that is accessible to key members.
- Identify key resources and needs of the teams and work to remove roadblocks