Associate Scientist, Analytical
Associate Scientist, Analytical
Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a highly-motivated professional who is looking to grow their career with our company.
About the Position
We are currently seeking an Associate Scientist with a specialization in Analytical Chemistry. The analytical team applies mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography, capillary electrophoresis and other modern physicochemical characterization techniques to investigate the integrity, purity, stability and identity of proteins and bioconjugates. In addition, the team is responsible for the quantitation of protein and small molecule analytes from diverse biological matrices. The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated multidisciplinary group responsible for supporting pipeline program advancement, ensuring rigorous quality control standards, and contributing to core platform technology improvements.
The Associate Scientist will have a background in the protein sciences field and generate high quality data using advanced analytical techniques. Knowledge of antibody structure and function is preferred. Effective communication and discussion of data with team members and other groups will be a critical component of daily activities. A keen ability to quickly learn new techniques and technologies is also important. The position will involve a significant amount of time in the laboratory. An enthusiasm for teamwork is required.
The Associate Scientist will be based in Vancouver, BC and report to the Principal Scientist, Conjugation Chemistry.
- Develops, optimizes and documents MS, HPLC, CE, and other analytical methods to support physicochemical characterization of proteins and bioconjugates.
- Performs recovery and quantitative analyses of analytes from diverse biological matrices (in vitro and ex vivo).
- Performs QC of reagents, proteins and bioconjugates.
- Determines stability of small molecule, protein and bioconjugate formulations under conditions of storage and forced degradation.
- Maintains advanced analytical instrumentation as required.
- Enhances throughput of analytical workflows while maintaining rigorous data quality standards.
- Carries out complex, well-controlled experiments using advanced techniques.
- Applies strength in statistical analysis to experimental design and data interpretation.
- Thoroughly documents experiments and data in lab book, reports and presentations.
- Uses scientific methods and principles to design, implement and execute experiments in collaboration with a larger research team, while frequently making individual contributions.
- Actively seeks to understand ongoing projects through attention to appropriate data and literature sources and employs this understanding to improve contributions to project goals.
- Establishes and maintains effective and collaborative working relationships with fellow employees and management.
- Effectively forecasts timelines and meets deadlines.
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD in a relevant scientific discipline such as biochemistry, chemistry or analytical chemistry and a minimum of 1 to 2 years’ related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience are required
- Hands on experience in mass spectrometry analysis of proteins and peptides
- Familiarity with analytical methods including LC-MS, cIEF, CE-SDS, HPLC, (RP-, HIC-, SEC-, HILIC-, IEX-) and peptide mapping
- Experience with troubleshooting and collaborative resolution of complex problems under defined time constraints
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=168. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.