Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
We are currently seeking a highly-motivated professional to join our Intellectual Property (IP) team as a Patent Agent.
This position will report to the Lead Patent Agent and will be based in Vancouver, BC.
- Prepares and prosecutes PCT, US and foreign patent applications, working with senior patent agents and outside counsel as appropriate.
- Meets with scientists and engineers on a frequent basis to identify novel inventions.
- Assists inventors in drafting invention disclosures and in developing experimental protocols to support patents.
- Advises assigned R&D project teams and business development teams on IP matters.
- Manages existing patent portfolio requirements and monitors deadlines for assigned cases.
- Performs patentability and freedom-to-operate searches.
- Assists in IP due-diligence examinations with collaborators, partners and investors.
- Monitors and maintains the Company’s IP processes consistent with best practices.
- Actively works to foster an environment of effective and collaborative working relationships amongst employees, management and external partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry or a related discipline with a working knowledge of antibody-based therapeutics and/or small molecule therapeutics and a minimum of 2 years’ related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. PhD and postdoctoral experience preferred.
- Patent Agent licensed/admitted to practice before the USPTO and/or CIPO, or a minimum of 3 years’ experience in patent drafting and prosecution, and conducting prior art searches.
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Good organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively in a high paced, fast changing environment. Results-oriented.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications.
- Experience running complex prior-art/freedom-to-operate searches.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to present findings with confidence to senior management.
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please apply online at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=159. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.