Office of Tissues and Advanced Therapies (OTAT)
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER)
Food And Drug Administration (FDA)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
The FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER) is seeking a medical hematologist to serve as a Physician, GP-0602-14 position to serve in the Office of Tissues and Advanced Therapies (OTAT). OTAT reviews, evaluates and approves cellular and gene-based therapies, as well as plasma protein therapeutics, such as coagulation factors, and certain medical devices.
This position is for physicians with interest in drug development, review of clinical trials, and critical interpretation of study design and clinical data analysis.
RESPONSIBILITIES: As a Hematologist in OTAT, the incumbent is responsible for
- Reviewing clinical trial protocols and facilitation of clinical development of these products for the treatment of hematologic disorders, such sickle cell disease, hemophilia, thalassemia, etc.
- Representing the agency at meetings with academic and industry sponsors of basic and clinical hematology, and at medical conferences.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: Physician, GP-0602: Must be a U.S. citizen with Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) or equivalent from a school in the United States or Canada. The degree must have been accredited by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association; Association of American Medical Colleges; Liaison Committee on Medical Education; Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation of the American Osteopathic Association, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree from Foreign Medical School: A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school must provide education and medical knowledge equivalent to accredited schools in the United States. Evidence of equivalency to accredited schools in the United States is demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (external link), a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country, or successful completion of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination.
Candidates for Civil Service or U.S. Commissioned Corps must possess a valid license to practice medicine in any state in the U.S. It is highly desired that the prospective candidate has Board Certification or eligibility in Pediatric Oncology.
LICENSURE: Applicant must possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a Physician from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
GRADUATE TRAINING: At least 4 years of graduate training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent, and experience and training in regulatory science and/or medical research.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- The candidate should be able to independently manage complex projects and should possess good interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience or training in public health surveillance and information technology (e.g., statistical software)
SALARY: Salary is equivalent to GS-0602-14, plus physician market pay (Title 38), and is commensurate with education/experience. U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers may also apply.
LOCATION: Silver Spring, MD
HOW TO APPLY: To apply for this position within CBER, please complete the following steps:
- Submit your electronic resume or curriculum vitae and supporting documentation to CBER Recruitment at email@example.com and carbon-copy Bindu George at firstname.lastname@example.org. Supporting documentation may include: bibliography, summary of research accomplishments, and names/contact information of three references. Please reference Job Code: OTAT-21-05-ACO.
- Create/Log-in to your USAJOBS account and review the official job opportunity announcement located on USAJobs.gov at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/569253400. Applications MUST be received by applying to the official job opportunity announcement located in the link above.
HHS/FDA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.