Director, Oncology Medical Affairs
The Director of Oncology Medical Affairs will manage and oversee the medical affairs aspects of the breast (invasive breast cancer and DCIS) and colorectal cancer assay programs. This will include creation and maintenance of the current evidence generation and publication plans for these products, create, and maintain a key opinion leader (KOL) plan, provide leadership representing these products within cross-functional groups, and provide education to healthcare providers concerning Exact Sciences’ products. This director will also manage the activities of the Oncology Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) and other personnel as needed.
The position may be field based but must commit to a presence in the Redwood City, California office for key internal meetings on a quarterly basis (approximate).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Play a key leadership role in developing and implementing our approach to bringing genomics into clinical practice in oncology.
- Function as an important outreach person representing Exact Sciences’ Precision Oncology business unit.
- Work closely with KOLs regarding Exact Sciences’ Precision Oncology scientific and medical presentations and communications.
- Deliver lectures in person or virtually as needed before health care providers concerning Exact Sciences’ Precision Oncology products and their use.
- Attend key medical meetings both to represent Exact Sciences and to gather educational information.
- Provide leadership in working with the medical organization and marketing/sales on setting up and supporting advisory boards, speaker training and external payor reviews as needed.
- Function as a vital medical resource internally to Precision Oncology and company wide.
- Answer medical questions from customer service, R&D, and others.
- Help in strategizing/problem-solving/prioritizing issues related to the medical marketplace and physician interaction.
- Assist in the review of study protocols and engagements with investigators interested in developing and performing independent studies with the Exact Sciences portfolio of tests in the oncology space.
- Work with key departments (medical, sales, marketing, managed care, Quadax, etc.) in developing and implementing successful training programs as needed by taking complex medical messages and enabling clear and concise understanding by personnel within the organization.
- Evaluate marketing tools for medical accuracy and completeness.
- Stay abreast of new developments, papers and trends in breast cancer and colorectal cancer and work with marketing to be a conduit to the field for review of these developments.
- Provide clinical expertise to enrich sales training programs, journal clubs, and ad hoc literature reviews; train MSLs and others as needed to fulfill these roles.
- Be available to sales representatives as a phone resource as needed, specifically to address unsolicited medical inquiries.
- Support preparation of medical review slides and materials at national sales meetings; including, but not limited to, pre-conference meetings, field sales conference calls, etc.
- Ensure compliance with relevant corporate and regulatory guidelines in development and execution of educational programs.
- Supervise staff; including, but not limited to, organize and prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop, and manage work performance.
- Communicate goals clearly to employees to ensure understanding and success in achieving them.
- Motivate and inspire employees to do their best work through coaching.
- Maintain morale and support employee engagement initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Possess strong analytical skills and familiarity with medical messaging.
- Ability to lead and develop a team and effectively communicate complex messages at all levels of the organization (organizational agility).
- Excellent ability to successfully communicate and teach in a complex and competitive environment.
- Ability to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Ability to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to act with an inclusion mindset and model these behaviors for the organization.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 80% of a typical working day.
- Ability to travel 60% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Board-certified physician, with medical or surgical oncology expertise.
- Strong clinical/medical background (training and/or experience).
- 3+ years of experience in planning and execution of clinical research, including study design, protocol development, managing study operations, interpreting, and presenting results, and manuscript development.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- 5+ years’ experience in a Medical Affairs organization; will consider highly qualified candidates with less experience who have been actively practicing clinical oncology.
- Strong experience with breast cancer.