Senior Medical Director of Oncology &
Division Director of Medical Oncology
Maine Medical Partners/Maine Medical Center
Maine Health Cancer Care Network
South Portland, Maine
Maine Medical Partners (MMP) and Maine Medical Center (MMC) is seeking a board-certified Medical Oncologist and/or Hematologist to serve as the academic, clinical and administrative leader as Senior Medical Director for Oncology and Director, Division of Medical Oncology in the Department of Medicine.
In this role, the Senior Medical Director and Division Director will develop and lead a highly innovative and evidenced-based contemporary oncology service. The Director will also have responsibility for developing the outpatient oncology clinics and inpatient solid tumor and malignant hematology services staffed by a team of cancer-focused hospitalists.
The Director will provide clinical and administrative leadership for the MaineHealth oncology practice supported by 3 Medical Directors in the Southern, Mid Coast, and Coastal regions of our MaineHealth Cancer Care Network (MHCCN) and MaineHealth (MH) system as part of the formative MH Medical Group and academic leadership in the Division of Medical Oncology in the Department of Medicine at MMC. Additional duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop a unified, singular medical oncology group practice in the MaineHealth system – comprising the MaineHealth Cancer Care Network;
- Provide leadership and stewardship on establishing a new Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program in the Department of Medicine in collaboration with program director;
- Oversee and support the team’s development of the new Hematology/Oncology course for second-year medical students in Maine as part of the Maine Track Program affiliated with the Tufts University School of Medicine;
- Oversee medical oncology inpatient services (both solid tumor and hematopoietic malignancies) in the new Coulombe Family Tower capital expansion at MMC in collaboration with new Director of Hematological Malignancies Program;
- Provide leadership on developing transformative inter-professional models of care that is closely tethered to MaineHealth’s newly awarded American Medical Association iPACE grant (Interprofessional Partnership to Advance Care and Education);
- Oversee the post-graduate training of the Department of Medicine residents in hematology/oncology;
- Steward clinical research pursuits especially the MHCCN Lifespan Project and NCORP award and expand the team’s research portfolio across the arc of the cancer care continuum, including translational and basic research pursuits in close collaboration with investigators at the Maine Medical Center Research Institute (MMCRI);
- Actively participate in ongoing and expansive recruitment in the MHCCN and cancer program;
- Compassionately provide care for oncology patients and participate in relevant tumor boards;
- Lead growth of cancer programs within the pending MaineHealth Medical Group and the Department of Medicine at MMC;
- Continue the trajectory to further develop the MHCCN as a national model health system hybrid community oncology and academic cancer network.
In addition to significant clinical experience (at least 7 to 10 years), this individual should have a demonstrable record of leadership in a progressive academic center/health system environment. National leadership and experience in cancer clinical trials and/or focused expertise in translational research endeavors adds value. Additionally, demonstrable focus in solid tumor oncology is preferred. Devotion to patient-centered care, strong interpersonal skills, mentoring young faculty, commitment to training the next generation of physicians and hematology/oncology providers, and ability to work in a highly matrixed and multi-specialty medical group practice are required.
The Portland Community
A historic seacoast city situated on the Atlantic Ocean on Maine’s south coast region, Portland boasts a strong economy, a multitude of museums, theaters, musical performances, cultural attractions, and nationally acclaimed restaurants. Located two hours north of Boston, Portland offers the best of urban sophistication combined with small town friendliness. Portland is consistently voted one of the top spots in America to raise a family and was named in the top 10 of best places to live and first in safest places to live by U.S. News & World Report in 2021.
With a four-season climate, Portland provides a wealth of outdoor recreation opportunities, all quite close to home and work. Some of New England’s finest ski resorts are within an easy two-hour drive, hundreds of miles of trails are available for hiking, running, or cross country skiing, and water sports abound in Casco Bay. For those that prefer spectator sports, Portland is home to minor league baseball and basketball teams.
The community is an ideal location for family, with strong schools and a values-based population. The region provides a variety of living options from the more urban environment of Portland to island and rural settings throughout the area. It is viewed as an environmentally conscious place to live having been named a top green city of its size.
The region is home to several colleges and universities, including the Maine College of Art, the University of New England, the University of Maine, and Bowdoin, Bates and Colby Colleges. The busiest airport in the state, the Portland International Jetport, is located only a few miles from downtown Portland, which allows for easy and convenient travel to and from Maine.
For more information, please contact Maggie McGauley, Executive & Physician Recruiter, at email@example.com or 207-661-2582.