Nurse Practitioner - Lung Cancer Screening Program
Facility: CHS Services
Location: West Islip, NY
Department: Oncology Service Line
Category: Physician / Advance Practice Professional
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day shift
Cancer Institute & Lung Cancer Screening Program Nurse Practitioner
Under the direction of the Vice President of Ambulatory Care and Oncology, the Nurse Practitioner functions independently providing direct and indirect patient care based on the nursing process for the Lung Cancer Program for Catholic Health (CH). Functions as the primary contact for patients. Provides education as needed to the patients/family related to the Lung Program diagnostic procedures, medication, and other complex aspects of the plan of care. The nurse incorporates clinical as well as social determinants to form a complete assessment, plan, intervention and evaluation. The nurse assures that the process is care across care settings is: complete, including: consults, therapy protocols, hospitalization, anticipated discharge needs, and follow up in the physician offices. The nurse supports faculty in clinics for patient care sessions, and occasionally performs scheduling of office visits and procedures. The nurse coordinator is accountable for the quality of nursing practice. Provides nursing services as needed and assists with other activities as assigned to help grow CH's Lung Cancer Program.
- In collaboration with the RN Navigator Complete navigation on lung cancer screening patient Conduct an in person or telehealth visit with the patient and complete the necessary documentation including but not limited to Shared decision-making requirements Smoking cessation discussion and documentation if indicated Registration in national database
- Ordering CT scan/coordinating with radiology services
- Following up on scans- contacting patients with results and necessary follow-up
- If exam normal, NP will send note to primary care doctor and if acceptable to the primary care, they can schedule f/u with the NP in 1 year for repeat of their annual screening
- If recommended to have repeat scan in 3-6 months, the NP will contact primary care doctor and schedule the f/u scan, coordinate with the patient, and track the scanning in the database
- If recommended to have referral to pulmonology, the NP will contact the primary care doctor and offer to assist with a referral to a Catholic Health pulmonology physician
- The NP will continue to act as a navigator throughout to assure the primary care doctor is kept involved in each step The NP will meet weekly with the program director to review cases and outcomes
- The NP and program director will co-lead a multidisciplinary planning conference to review overall program statistics and discuss individual cases that can benefit from multidisciplinary discussions
- Participation in multidisciplinary lung cancer tumor board
- Go out in community and meet with primary care physicians to establish relationships and provide educational material on lung cancer screening program
- For patients diagnoses with lung cancer, the NP will coordinate follow-up care to assure timely access to multidisciplinary care within the Catholic Health Network
- This position may also have an expanded role supporting Cancer Institute program development such as other screening programs and survivorship programs, as needed.
- Med Surg experience. Additional Oncology experience would be preferable.
- Current New York Nurse Practitioner license Ability to work effectively with colleagues, physicians and others as part of a care team
- Ability to maintain flexibility and work well in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to maintain attendance standards of the organization to support organizational goals.
- Current BLS certification
- Nurse Practitioner in the state of NY
- Effective navigation skills
- Interact with referring providers
- Able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary setting
Apply Link: https://jobs.chsli.org/job/west-islip/nurse-practitioner-lung-cancer-screening-program/247/21717241152