Welcome to our US Medical Affairs Talent Pipeline candidate landing page. Here, you will have access to submit your name, information, resume and work experience for consideration for all current and future roles in our Oncology Business Unit. In our US Medical Affairs teams, we commonly hire Franchise Heads, Medical Heads, Medical Leads, and Medical Directors. Below, you will find information on Duties and responsibilities for our roles. We can't wait to hear from you!
About OBU Medical Affairs:
In Medical Affairs, we change the practice of medicine and improve the patient experience by generating and communicating compelling medical evidence. We translate the wealth of medical and scientific expertise to ensure the data we produce helps physicians to better treat patients at every point in the journey. Valued partners across the enterprise, we rely on working together and sharing knowledge to combine science and strategy in a way that advances our pipeline and progresses our journey to redefine cancer treatment. We are a high-performing team within a global, growing organization – our culture is one of openness and transparency, fused with ambition and drive. A supportive and trusting place to grow your career, each of us is empowered to take a tailored approach to our development, driving the pace and direction. Come and be part of a talented, cross-functional team working together to improve lives and make the biggest possible impact for patients, science and society.
Common Duties and Responsibilities
The Medical Lead, US Medical Affairs is responsible to lead the Core Medical Team (CMT). The Medical Lead/Director is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies, in particular FDA, and has experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have significant experience in Oncology and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the evidence generation strategy. In addition, an ideal Medical Lead/Medical Director will have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
- All activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate use approaches.
- Ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- Lead the Medical Evidence generation strategy of Core Medical Team (CMT).
- Interact with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups.
- Interact with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Prof Societies).
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards.
- Play an integral role in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers.
- Provide clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as regional scientific managers and members of product sales teams.
- Develop the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research program to align with strategy.
- Maintain key links into global brand clinical activities by maintaining collaborative working relationship with Oncology medical physicians
- Supply medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Work with commercial brand teams to provide scientific and clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in support of AstraZeneca products acting as medical expert for disease area.
- Work closely with our Medical Science Liaisons (MSL) and National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts.
- Supply medical insight into promotional material along with learning materials for internal and external use
- Work closely with Global Medical Alignment Leader (GMAL) to ensure US strategy is aligned with global.
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D., D.O. or equivalent Ph.D. degree
- Board certification/eligibility preferred in internal medicine or a related relevant specialty, Oncology preferred.
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.