At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
The Director, Patient Science supports our Patient Centricity mission within the Chief Medical Office and Clinical Excellence group. This team drives a patient centric culture and advances the patient-focused initiatives that drive our drug development process. This team is critical to our Clinical Trials Diversity initiatives ensuring AZ Clinical Trials patients mirror disease population.
Typical accountabilities include.,,
- Drives Patient Centricity activities including strategic efforts around Clinical Trial Diversity (embed into AZ, tools, external partnerships) and Patient Engagement
- Supports CMO Clinical Patients Centricity in driving Patient Centric culture, building patient trust and bringing and incorporating patient voice to advance patient-centric clinical development.
- Facilitates cross functional collaboration in Patient Centricity area.
- Identify and address gaps to successfully embed Patient Centric culture into clinical programs across the enterprise
- Guides, evaluates and develops Clinical Trial Diversity area. Drives strategic goals execution to ensure achievement of the CMO multi-year goal (AZ clinical trial population mirrors real world disease population)
- Significantly contributes to external collaboration related to Clinical Trial Diversity. Identify and engage with external partners, local communities, academic institutions among others
- Leads internal education and awareness on Patient centricity and Clinical Trial Diversity.
- Approves policies and procedures that contribute to the Patient Centricity and Clinical Trial Diversity strategies
- Leads Patient Engagement activities to build patient trust and increase patient participation in AZ clinical trials
- Drive patient engagement activities. Increase patient access to information on AZ clinical trials, AZ products and product safety information in an easy to understand language.
- Increase patient trust and engagement via novel interaction mechanisms from study design to launch
- Identify opportunities to incorporate patient insight into clinical development to support planning and design of clinical studies. Support TA and study teams by working collaboratively with relevant insight-oriented functions
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biomedical sciences or Life science
- Good understanding of Clinical Development area and multi-disciplinary experience (cross-functional or functional)
- Possesses general knowledge of pharmaceutical industry/R&D operations; and marketing and commercial fundamentals
- Proven ability to both independently complete, and lead peers in completion of complex plans, related documents, appropriate methodologies, measures, analytical plans and evaluation tools.
- Experience in Patient Centricity/ Patient Engagement areas
- Strong communication & presentation skills to lead communication to internal stakeholders and external partners, educational sessions, among others
- Medical and/or Postgraduate degree (MS, MD, PhD or equivalent)
- Experience in multiple therapy areas (e.g., oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular, respiratory)
- Proven ability to drive change