AZ Baselga Cancer Research Scholars Program
“It is critical that we build and maintain our rich tradition of clinical expertise in support of developing life-changing medicines for patients.” –Jose Baselga
The Baselga Cancer Research Scholars Program, now in its third year, is a competitive, 2-year immersive education and research program for early-career Oncologists who are inspired by science and by how clinical development has the potential to transform patient care. As part of the selected cohort of Scholars in Oncology R&D, you’ll have an opportunity to learn from a diverse group of experts across the drug development continuum and play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. Selected Scholars will join the current cohort , to build a strong community of drug developers.
At AstraZeneca we are building upon our strong biologics platform to bring solutions to patients. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease.
As part of the selected cohort of Scholars in Oncology R&D, you’ll have an opportunity to learn from a diverse group of experts across the drug development continuum and play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. The Scholars program is in its 3rd year. The new Scholars will join the current cohort of scholars to build a strong community of drug developers.
About AstraZeneca Oncology Research & Development
We’re pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines.
Our ambition is to eliminate cancer as a cause of death. It’s our big vision that unites and inspires us. With multiple indications and high-quality molecules at all stages of our innovative pipeline, we keep pushing forward. Focusing on cutting-edge science with the latest technology to achieve breakthroughs. AZ is a place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes.
We push the boundaries of science to change the practice of medicine and transform the lives of patients living with cancer. With one of the broadest and deepest Oncology pipelines in the industry, there are many opportunities to work with new and novel drugs and help discover what’s next. Supportive team players, we draw on diverse knowledge from across the business and external partners to come to bear on the toughest medical challenges.
What you’ll do The 2023 AZ Baselga Cancer Research Scholars cohort will join AstraZeneca at a time of tremendous growth and acceleration in the oncology biologics portfolio. This rotational program will allow you to work one year in Early Clinical development and one year in Late Clinical development, ending with a fixed placement in one of our development teams. Working in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment you will experience increasing levels of responsibility, following a structured learning plan in the following domains:
- medical monitoring of ongoing clinical trials, the planning and conduct of clinical trials
- providing long-range clinical development planning, planning and managing clinical research projects and clinical development programs in oncology,
- collaborating with and providing clinical input and expertise to pre-clinical and translational sciences,
- learning and working with regulatory and biostatistics team
In addition, you will participate in weekly clinical and scientific meetings related to your project, participating in AstraZeneca training programs through the course of the program, and participate in internal and external AstraZeneca and scientific meetings. You will serve as the lead for a longitudinal medical project. Specific duties and major responsibilities for the longitudinal medical project may include any of the following:
- Serving as medical monitor with primary responsibility for patient safety and conduct of assigned trials as well as overall data interpretation and safety surveillance
- Establishing and approving scientific methods for design and implementation of applicable clinical protocols, data collection systems, and final reports
- Assisting in design of clinical development plans and overall strategy for compounds, therapeutic classes of compounds or indications in light of developments in the area of clinical and pharmaceutical oncology
- Collaborating with pre-clinical and translational sciences, and senior management in assessing requirements for emerging products
- Participating in the selection and management activities of CROs
- Supervising project team members in planning, conducting and evaluating clinical trials
- Planning and managing investigator meetings, advisory boards and other scientific committees
You will work in a cross functional environment with representatives from other involved functions as well as Late-Stage Development. You will contribute to and support Department/Clinical initiatives to improve the quality and content of all clinical programs as well as the cross functional/organization processes designed to effectively deliver our R&D portfolio.
Scholars will also conduct a research project linked to their medical project and will be asked to present their data to an internal peer review group along with publishing their research in peer-reviewed publication and presenting at key scientific meetings.
Essential for the role
- MD or equivalent required; ideally board certified (or eligible) preferred in Oncology or Haematology/Oncology.
Highly Desirable for the role
- Experience in molecular oncology and/or translational science
- Medical specialty and sub-specialty training and Board Certification
- Excellent oral and written skills, strong interpersonal and listening skills
- Results driven to achieve creative and sound outcomes
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated ability to interact collaboratively in a cross-functional environment.
- Ability to make sound and timely decisions; agile in learning and action oriented
- High level of emotional intelligence; able to deal with ambiguity
- Able to relate to varied level audiences across the organization; able to set priorities for team and maintain accountability; skilled in negotiating organizational boundaries and hierarchy; able to build effective teams
With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is bright. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we lead the way for healthcare and society.
So, what’s next Final timing is dependent upon nature of the medical and research project. Please note this is a two-year rotational program followed by a permanent assignment within one of the Clinical Development groups.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter and CV through our careers site. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
Where can I find out more Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en