Vice President Therapeutic Discovery Research
- Bothell, Washington State
- The hiring pay range for this position is $306,000 $396,000 per year
- Closing date
- Jun 10, 2023
- Chief, Administrator/Manager, President, Director, Executive
- Breast, Clinical Research Oncology, Clinical Trials Research, Dermatologic Oncology, Gastrointestinal, Genitourinary, Gynecologic Oncology, Head and Neck, Hematologic Oncology, Immuno-Oncology, Laboratory-Based Research, Leukemia, Liver, Lymphoma, Medical Oncology, Melanoma, Multispecialty, Neurologic Oncology, Nurse Practitioner, Nursing, Palliative Care, Pancreatic, Pediatric Oncology, Pharmaceutical, Physician Assistant, Preventive Care, Radiation/Radiotherapy, Radiology, Sarcoma, Surgical Oncology, Therapeutic Oncology, Thoracic, Translational Research, Urologic Oncology, Other, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Genomics, Informatics, Medical Clerical/Office, Oncology Administration, Radiation Oncology, Pathology, Rheumatology, Lung, BMT, Cell Therapy, Myeloma
- Full Time
- PHD, MD / PHD, PhD in Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics
Seagen is a global, multi-product biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing transformative cancer medicines. As the industry leader in antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered a new generation in the science of harnessing antibodies to deliver cell-killing agents directly to cancer cells. Seagen’s dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients goes beyond science, and we believe that every employee has a role in contributing to this mission. By working together with a shared dedication and diverse perspectives, we are able to reach our full potential and make a real difference in the world. Seagen is a fast-growing company and has an abundance of opportunities available for you to grow your career. Put your passion to work at Seagen and join us!
Seagen is seeking a Vice President and head of the Therapeutic Discovery Research (TDR) group. This person will be responsible for leading the Seagen early pipeline discovery research activities up to development candidate nomination. This is a key leadership role, and the head of TDR will be part of the Research Leadership Team, working collaboratively across the Research organization and with leaders outside of Research, including Translational Sciences, Technical Development, Clinical Development, Corporate Development, and Legal to implement strategy and advance the therapeutic portfolio. The head of the TDR group will contribute to developing the Research vision and strategy for building an innovative cancer drug pipeline focused on targeted cancer therapeutics, including antibody drug conjugates (ADCs) and antibodies that are designed to activate anti-tumor immunity. The successful candidate will have a strong background in cancer biology and immune oncology, and a track-record of identifying and advancing novel targets and new drug candidates to the clinic. This individual must also be passionate about people development and creating career growth opportunities that fit into the overall talent strategy to create a high performing team. At Seagen we value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and this key leader will be accountable for building a diverse and highly effective team that delivers results while maintaining a positive and collaborative culture.
- Deliver a sustainable pipeline of drug development candidates by leading and managing a team of scientists focused on innovation and improving patient outcomes
- Responsible for executing on the Research strategy and building a diverse team capable of delivering on Research portfolio goals
- Define and allocate resources to Discovery Research areas to enable the discovery and advancement of new drug candidates to treat cancer
- Facilitate the generation of innovative drug concepts to create a portfolio that balances high risk / high reward projects together with clinically validated platform technologies to consistently deliver transformative drug candidates
- Work collaboratively to integrate novel payload designs, ADC linker chemistry, antibody engineering technologies, and novel cancer targets to create innovative therapeutic candidates
- Develop new therapeutic approaches and drug compositions to expand the scope of the Seagen drug portfolio
- Manage key relationships and communicate effectively within the Research Leadership team and with partners and leaders across the company to influence strategy, guide research, make decisions, and efficiently manage resources
- Partner with Corporate Development to identify new drug targets and technologies, as well as new drugs to supplement internal Research efforts
- Proactively anticipate obstacles, create and implement solutions to achieve project goals through management of relevant team members
- Hire, develop, coach, and manage performance of scientific and technical staff, including director and senior/executive director level leaders
- Promote a culture of professionalism, innovation, and collaboration focused on the patient outcomes in alignment with company goals and values
- PhD with 15+ years of experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company focused on discovery and drug development
- 12+ years of experience in supporting research for discovery stage clinical programs
- 10+ years of scientific leadership experience leading research teams working on multiple concurrent multidisciplinary projects
- 7+ years leading and directly managing teams. Ability to give feedback, coach, mentor, and develop employees
- Deep knowledge and expertise in identifying, validating, and prosecuting cancer drug targets and advancing novel therapeutics into development
- Experience in discovery and preclinical development of cancer therapeutics, ADC experience preferred
- Sophisticated, broad perspective of cancer drug discovery and development with a successful track record of leading cancer drug discovery programs especially with novel targets
- The ability to make tough leadership decisions and effectively lead a team through multiple priorities while maintaining a collaborative environment that delivers innovation
- Ability to collaborate across teams and a variety of disciplines
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
The hiring pay range for this position is $306,000 $396,000 per year based on skills, education and experience relevant to the role. Other components of total compensation include a competitive equity grant at the time of hire (with additional annual grants, and grants upon promotion when applicable), and an annual bonus.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Seagen is a global biotechnology company that develops and commercializes transformative cancer therapies. We’re driven by a singular mission—to make a difference for people impacted by cancer.
As an industry leader in antibody–drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered the science of harnessing antibodies designed to deliver cell-killing agents to cancer cells. Three of our four approved medicines are built on this technology.
We also focus our research efforts on novel targeted small molecule therapies. In addition, we are leveraging our expertise in empowered antibodies to build a portfolio of proprietary immuno-oncology agents.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert