Vice President Discovery Chemistry
- Bothell, Washington State
- The hiring pay range for this position is $323,000 to $418,000 per year
- Closing date
- Jun 10, 2023
- Chief, Administrator/Manager, President, Director, Executive
- Breast, Clinical Research Oncology, Clinical Trials Research, Dermatologic Oncology, Gastrointestinal, Genitourinary, Gynecologic Oncology, Head and Neck, Hematologic Oncology, Immuno-Oncology, Laboratory-Based Research, Leukemia, Liver, Lymphoma, Medical Oncology, Melanoma, Multispecialty, Neurologic Oncology, Nurse Practitioner, Nursing, Palliative Care, Pancreatic, Pediatric Oncology, Pharmaceutical, Physician Assistant, Preventive Care, Radiation/Radiotherapy, Radiology, Sarcoma, Surgical Oncology, Therapeutic Oncology, Thoracic, Translational Research, Urologic Oncology, Other, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Genomics, Informatics, Medical Clerical/Office, Oncology Administration, Radiation Oncology, Pathology, Rheumatology, Lung, BMT, Cell Therapy, Myeloma
- Full Time
- PHD, PhD in Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics
Seagen is a global, multi-product biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing transformative cancer medicines. As the industry leader in antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered a new generation in the science of harnessing antibodies to deliver cell-killing agents directly to cancer cells. Seagen’s dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients goes beyond science, and we believe that every employee has a role in contributing to this mission. By working together with a shared dedication and diverse perspectives, we are able to reach our full potential and make a real difference in the world. Seagen is a fast-growing company and has an abundance of opportunities available for you to grow your career. Put your passion to work at Seagen and join us!
Seagen is looking for a Head of Discovery Chemistry to join our Research organization. In this newly created role, the VP of Discovery Chemistry will report to the SVP of Research. The primary responsibility for this position will be to lead a group of Scientists accountable for discovering and developing new cancer drug technologies. This includes leading the discovery and development of novel antibody drug conjugate (ADC) technologies, including new payload mechanisms of action and conditional drug release mechanisms that improve drug potency, therapeutic efficacy, and specificity. The leader of this group will also oversee the integration of new ADC technology with novel antibody formats to advance Seagen’s ADC platform. The successful candidate will also work with senior leadership in Research to build new capabilities within the group that complements the ADC platform and expands our expertise in small molecule targeted cancer drug discovery and development. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in cancer drug discovery and will be key in enabling the organization to deliver innovative technologies that translate to IND candidates. The role will work closely with all groups within Research, but will also work with Process Sciences, Clinical Development as well as Business Development, Corporate Strategy, and Legal to evaluate external technologies.
- Lead a group of highly skilled and experienced chemists who are focused on targeted anticancer drug delivery Extend the research scope of ADCs in areas of novel drug mechanisms of action that complement existing technologies and approaches Explore new ADC drug linkers designed to enhance ADC biologic and pharmacologic properties Initiate efforts directed towards improving the therapeutic window of targeted drug delivery strategies beyond those achieved with existing delivery systems Work closely with biology and protein engineering teams to develop novel approaches for drug conjugate design Collaborate with senior leaders across the Research and Translational Sciences organization to develop new targeted drug discovery strategies Position research programs and establish strong alliances with Process Sciences, Process Chemistry and other groups within Seattle Genetics to assure that promising new molecules advance expeditiously towards clinical trials Establish strategic relationships with biotech, pharma, and key academic groups that have technologies that complement the ongoing efforts within the group Contribute to appropriate Intellectual Property strategies for the protection of new discoveries Generate a robust publication record in leading journals, and present findings at key meetings Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, discovery, and cutting-edge research
- A PhD in chemistry with significant background in medicinal chemistry, organic synthesis, analytical technologies 15-20 years’ experience in pharmaceutical industry with preclinical and clinical development activities A deep knowledge of drug discovery and development including a track record of advancing novel drugs through early phase discovery into pre-clinical and clinical development Expertise in the discovery and development of targeted drugs for cancer, including a broad understanding of the field and the challenges it faces A history in the targeted delivery of cancer drugs, including experience with antibody drug conjugates or other targeted delivery systems is a plus Proven leadership skills with a track record of leading medium to large groups and the ability to work effectively with other groups throughout the company A track record of successfully building research groups, hiring talented scientists and developing their careers Lead multidisciplinary scientific teams in developing new programs and projects, providing clear direction to research efforts that align with Research departmental goals and long-term strategy Membership of scientific societies or scientific achievement awards. A distinguished publication and patent record, reflecting innovation and a series of outstanding discoveries Collaborate with the Research Leadership Team to drive discoveries in biological and pharmaceutical research; to innovate new products and novel technologies; and to build research and innovation strategies and infrastructure Develop and execute research and early project plans that will systematically address multiple target and indication opportunities Create and execute overall chemistry plan to ensure robust, cost-effective support of company discovery and development portfolio
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
The hiring pay range for this position is $323,000 to $418,000 per year based on skills, education and experience relevant to the role. Other components of total compensation include a competitive equity grant at the time of hire (with additional annual grants, and grants upon promotion when applicable), and an annual bonus.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Seagen is a global biotechnology company that develops and commercializes transformative cancer therapies. We’re driven by a singular mission—to make a difference for people impacted by cancer.
As an industry leader in antibody–drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered the science of harnessing antibodies designed to deliver cell-killing agents to cancer cells. Three of our four approved medicines are built on this technology.
We also focus our research efforts on novel targeted small molecule therapies. In addition, we are leveraging our expertise in empowered antibodies to build a portfolio of proprietary immuno-oncology agents.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert